A few weeks ago, while visiting my city for a combination family/friends/work visit, I had the opportunity to test drive a 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring! As soon as I started driving, I realized this car goes way beyond sharp looks, and realized we would become fast friends. We had A LOT of places to go and people to visit together, and I was happy to travel in style with a purposeful design that made it roomy and comfortable.
Since I need to make a decision on a new family vehicle within the next two months, this was a great chance to have a thorough Mazda driving experience. Having driven big SUV’s for the last decade, I wasn’t overly confident that I could love a sedan again, but the Mazda6 truly won me over. This 4-door sporty sedan packs a punch. The Mazda6 has a deceiving interior that is very roomy and spacious (especially in the back with 2 carseats), tons of bells and whistles, and it’s a sweet-looking ride.
But what is most important to me as the primary driver in my family, as a mom, and savvy consumer? Safety, handling, and comfort (in that order). This is where the Mazda6 exceeded my expectations. A IIHS top safety pick, this vehicle handles beautifully and was tested from highway miles to intense NYC traffic. It feels solid, was fun to drive, and the navigation system was simple to use. Inside and out, the Mazda6 is a complete package.
While it is a little low to the ground, I happily felt secure driving everywhere and had no noticeable blind spots. During this true test drive, I expected to uncover at least one issue in this sedan but have come up empty. To see family, we traveled from Long Island, through Brooklyn, over to Staten Island, into Manhattan, and through Queens. Our adventure continued with the blogger conference/social influence events of Getting Gorgeous, Blogger Bash 2015, and KidzVuz Back-To-School. The Mazda6 and I zipped around The Big Apple from Chelsea Piers to Madison Avenue for work meetings. Enjoying the familiar sights of NYC, while on the Belt Parkway, over the Verrazano Bridge, through the Midtown Tunnel, the Mazda6 provided my family and I with an awesome, safe, and smooth ride.Here are just some of the Mazda6 Grand Touring features that stood out for me:
- Safety – Along with everything you would expect, the backseat offers plenty of space to use the latch child safety seat anchors and this car handles beautifully and feels solid with the following features.
- Blind Spot Monitoring System
- Advanced Dual Front Air Bags
- Front Side-Impact Air Bags
- Front & Rear Side Air Curtains
- Smart City Brake Support
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Dynamic Stability System (DSC)
- Interior – I REALLY loved the Mazda interior. It was high-quality and felt refined.
- Leather-Trimmed, Heated Front Sport Seats (ah, gotta love heated seats)
- Dual-Zone Auto Climate Control w/Rear Seat Vents
- 8-way power driver’s seat w/power lumbar support and seat memory
- Tech – With cutting-edge tech features, the Grand Touring is loaded.
- 7.0″ Color Touch-Screen Display with Navigation System (this was my favorite feature)
- Advanced Keyless Entry System
- Active Driving Display
- Bluetooth hands-free phone/audio
- Bose 11-Speaker Sound-System
- USB Audio Input & HD Radio
- Drive – Mazda managed to design a sweet-looking sedan with strength and power while making it fun to drive.
- 184 Horsepower with 185 lbs. – ft of torque
- SkyActiv 2.5 DOHC 4-Cyl Engine
- SkyActiv Drive 6-Speed Sport Auto Transmission
- 32 MPG combined city/hwy (28 city, 40 highway)
Although it feels really weird to me to have keyless entry for cars, I realize that is just something I’m going to get used to. Here are some additional quotes from the critics in the back seat, my kids.
– Our parents always makes us freeze with air conditioning, but my mom was able to adjust it in the back seat and it was awesome!
– The big map (navigation system) was really cool to look at!
– The back seat was big so we didn’t hit each other (always a bonus)!
I felt safe, comfortable, and loved the control I felt while driving the Mazda6 all around the city that never sleeps. The Mazda6 is a worthy option to consider when shopping for your next vehicle.
*I was provided a Mazda6 Grand Touring for 1 week to test drive. Thank you to MazdaUSA for this opportunity. As always, this is an honest review based on my personal experience. The opinions stated are expressly my own.